Dorothy Dell Fail1
F, #479, b. 12 September 1928, d. 16 March 2014
Last Edited=2 Apr 2016
Dorothy Dell Fail, was born on 12 September 1928 at Bay Springs, Jasper County, Mississippi.2
Photo was printed on the Order of Service for her funeral, sent to this researcher by Dell's son, Mark Mayfield.
Dorothy Dell Fail married Charles Russell Mayfield, son of Charles Mayfield and Annie Ruth Stevens, in 1953.22
Dorothy Dell Fail died on 16 March 2014 at Madison, Madison County, Mississippi, at age 85. Dell's obituary read as follows:
Dorothy (Dell) Fail Mayfield, 86, passed away on March 16, 2014. A Christian, she is now at rest with her Heavenly Father. Born in 1928, to Donnie Fail and Estelle Yelverton Fail in Bay Spring, MS, their much anticipated and long awaited first child was greeted with great joy. Her family owned and operated Bay Springs Telephone Company, which was a small independent telephone company.
Dell received a Good Citizen award in elementary school and loved every minute of high school. Each teacher was beloved and had a special impact upon her life. There were many close friends and fond memories of growing up in the safety and security of a loving Christian home in a small Mississippi town. Voted "friendliest girl" at Bay Spring High, she enjoyed playing basketball, cheerleading and swimming. Upon graduation she received the "Outstanding Student" award.
Dell graduated from Mississippi College in Clinton where she served as secretary and treasurer of the student body. Voted "friendliest girl" on campus, she was selected to Who's Who in American Colleges and Universities. She gave all the credit to her beloved mother and daddy. After graduation she taught school in Bay Springs, and in 1952 enrolled at the Women's Missionary Union Training School for Women in Louisville, KY, which is associated with the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.
In 1953, Dell and Charles R. Mayfield, Jr., also of Bay Springs, were married. They moved to Fredrick, MD, where Charles served the army as a procurement attorney at Ft. Detrick's biological warfare research laboratory. Dell taught in the Fredrick public school.
In 1956 they moved to Laurel, MS, where Charles practiced law. In 1962 they re-located to Jackson, and were blessed with three children - two sons and a daughter. Their only surviving child is their oldest, Mark, who is a attorney in Jackson.
Dell and Charles were active members of Calvary Baptist Church and later Broadmoor Baptist Church, where they taught Sunday School and where Dell was Women's Missionary Union director. They later joined their son and his wife at First Baptist Jackson. After Charles' death, and upon moving to St. Catherine's Village in Madison, Dell joined Madison Baptist Fellowship Church where she made many new friends. Always thinking of others, Dell deeply loved the Lord, her family and friends. She exhibited a genuine servant's spirit in all of her relationships.
Dell was preceded in death by her parents, Donnie and Estelle Fail, her husband, Charles, her son, Russ, and her daughter, Robin.
Survivors are her son, Mark (Robin) Mayfield; two grandsons, Owen Mayfield of Washington, D.C. and William Mayfield of Ridgeland, two brothers, Charlie (Dot) Fail, and Joseph (Nancy) Fail, both of Bay Springs; and Katherine Peebles of Brandon; as well as nieces Joey (James) Garner and Brandi (Alan) Callison both of Ridgeland; and Donna Fail (William) Alexander and Cy (Pamela) Fail both of Bay Springs.
The family would like to thank and recognize her many friends and the caring staff at St. Catherine's Village in Madison as well as her special friends and helpers Betty Crosby, Barbara Sojourner and Elaine Blair.
Visitation will be at Wright & Ferguson funeral home in Ridgeland on Thursday, March 20 from 5-7 pm, and on Friday, March 21 at 10 am. Her funeral service will be at the same location at 11 am on Friday, and a graveside service be at 4 pm at the Bay Springs, MS Cemetery.3,4 and was buried on 21 March 2014 at Bay Springs Cemetery, Bay Springs, Jasper County, Mississippi.2
Children of Dorothy Dell Fail and Charles Russell Mayfield
- [S230] Interview with Charles and Dell Mayfield (informant address private) , by this researcher, 2001. Notes of this interview are in the personal records of this researcher (Florence, Pinal County, Arizona).
- [S36] Newspaper Obituary, unknown newspaper photocopy or digital copy is in the personal records of this researcher, Florence, Pinal County, Arizona.
- [S169] Letter from Joanne Stevens Dalton (author address private) to this researcher, 9 February 2002 and following; photocopy or digital copy is in the personal records of this researcher (Florence, Pinal County, Arizona), Joanne Dalton called with the information on March 18, 2014.
- [S36] Newspaper Obituary, unknown newspaper, Order of Funeral Service, sent to this researcher by her son, Mark Mayfield., photocopy or digital copy is in the personal records of this researcher, Florence, Pinal County, Arizona.
- [S451] Headstone and Cemetery Collection, Created by: Marshall Parker, Record added: Feb 16, 2010, Find A Grave Memorial# 48222215., Findagrave.com.
- [S451] Headstone and Cemetery Collection, Created by: Marshall Parker, Record added: Feb 16, 2010, Find A Grave Memorial# 48222240., Findagrave.com.